Sunday, January 15, 2006

bill's best beginning

Yesterday morning I got up at eight and strolled into town for breakfast at Bill's. It didn't take me long to decide that breakfast at Bill's is the best beginning to any day. I ate gorgeous scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on delicious home made bread and drank a delectable, creamy latte. I wrote notes for myself in my moleskine, and on looking up found myself surrounded by kindred spirits, moleskines out, heads down, coffees steaming.

After breakfast I took a turn around the town, before driving out to Newick for my Grandfather's birthday party. It was a lovely afternoon of food and conversation. I took special delight in the story of my meeting with Simon Button, a friend of my uncle James. At a very tender age, and literally knee high, I was introduced to Simon who stood at over six foot two in his stockinged feet. My eyes raised from floor level, my head tilting further and further back until I eventually fell over backwards. I'm not sure my eyes ever reached his face.

I drove home in the dark, before curling up on the sofa with a bottle of red wine to finish the day in comfort. A perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments: