Thursday, January 26, 2006

wanted: one adventure

This afternoon I quite fancy an adventure. It has been a while since anything one could call adventurous has happened to me, now I have a distinct longing. Unfortunately I have a niggling feeling that adventures are not events that one can just pop out and purchase; "Shop-keep, find me an adventure!" They are the sort of events that just happen, when you least expect it, whilst you're hoovering or mowing the lawn or something equally domestic and dull.

The most adventurous thing that happened to me today is my left shoe falling off. I have a suspicion that it is slightly too big, so I've folded my sock over and over my heel which seems to have done the trick. You see, that isn't adventurous at all. In fact, it's not even worth mentioning, and I now feel slightly silly for having done so.

I don't really mind what sort of adventure I have, it could be swashbuckling, romantic, daring, the list could go on and on. What concerns me most is that an afternoon without meetings, a free afternoon with just my lonesome in-tray, should pass without even the slightest wiff of adventure. What a shameful waste.

1 comment:

Simon John Parkin said...

I'm going to sound like a travel agent now, but how about an adventure holiday? I want an adventure too - so I'm going to book a hol through Exodus or The Adventure Company.

Not exactly the Mr Benn shopkeeper's magic changing room, but close enough for me!